Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What Cancer Cannot Do

The other day, on an off day from work, I jogged a couple of miles in my neighborhood.  I used to run a lot more, but over the years I've been limited in my amount of running by my long working hours.  However, as I ran around the corner from my house, I was met by what used to be a frightening site, that is, a barking dog named Deke.  As a matter of fact, I can usually count on Deke barking at me if I am near his property.  It can be pretty scary if you aren't familiar with Deke's situation.  Deke is a good sized animal, about the size of a Black Labrador, although he appears to be a mixed breed.  When Deke approaches with his ferocious bark, it is only natural to be afraid, very, very afraid.

Yet, interesting thing about Deke.  All he can do is bark at me.  Apparently, his yard has a hidden wire under the grass where he will only go so far.  I've never seen him leave his yard.  As long as I run on the street, I know Deke will never hurt me.  He will come within a few feet of me, barking, carrying on, but yet, I never really get rattled by Deke.  I know his power (with the help of modern dog control technology) is limited.

Reminds me in a sense about cancer.  Just the word "cancer" is scary.  The treatments are tumultuous.  The side effects debilitating.  I once received a card from a sweet lady at church years ago who was battling lung cancer and she quoted this poem.  I in turn felt compelled to put it on my refrigerator.  Furthermore, this poem is now seen on T-shirts, coffee mugs and bracelets.  The author is unknown, but the verses describe  the limitations of cancer.  It is entitled, "What Cancer Cannot Do".  Consider:

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.   

Mind you, cancer can  kill, maim and destroy.  Yet, just like my buddy Deke who meets me when I'm running, cancer's bark is sometimes worse than its bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment