Sunday, November 6, 2016

Beverage of Choice

My cellphone coverage is so frustrating at the hospital where I work.  Apparently, there is a structural issue which prevents me from getting phone calls or text messages in a timely manner.  I've heard that there is lead in the walls of many areas of the hospital, making such communication difficult.  As a result, the other day I took a tour of the hospital, that is, different buildings, walkways, etc., to see if there is any place, any location where I can have reliable cellphone service.  I think about the only place I found fairly adequate coverage is when  I walk down five flights of stairs to the street and go outside the main building where I work.  Not the best situation.  Of course, it will be even more of a nuisance as the weather turns colder and I have to endure chilly temperatures.  So, in the most simple terms, I long to have one spot, one location, where I know my cellphone will work consistently.  It would make my job so much easier.  Is this too much to ask?

Consequently, in life, when life is at its worst, it's amazing how just one thing can provide a tremendous amount of relief.  I know when I was going through chemotherapy (and still working, mind you), I found out that Fruit Juicy Red Hawaiian Punch was a great comfort.  Don't really know why.  It was about the only true juice found in the soda machine but I seemed to enjoy it in my discomfort.  Also, "real" lemonade was helpful.  I'm talking about lemonade that is about ten or eleven percent juice, not the lemonade made from a powder or dilute.

There are other simple pleasures in life which make it easier to bear burdens.  Just having an electric blanket gives me great joy.  A chocolate bar, a warm cup of decaffeinated coffee or a homemade cooked meal also lift my spirits.

As the apostle Paul was nearing death, he made a simple request to his co-laborer, Timothy.  In II Timothy 4:13 he said, "When you come bring the cloak which I left at Troas with Carpus, and the books, especially the parchments."  This doesn't really sound like much in our thinking but to Paul, having such items, would provide a great relief in his circumstances.

Hence, a little comfort when life is most uncomfortable makes a world of difference. What is your beverage or item of choice when life turns sour?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment