Monday, October 10, 2016

Turn Your Radio On

I had a very busy week at work last week.   Lots of long hours.  Mentally and physically stressful.  After a long day of work, I found my way to car for the ride home and turned to a frequent comfort in my life: music.  I turned on a CD and amazingly, in spite of feeling overwhelmed and exhausted from the  work day, I felt more refreshed as I got home.  There is an old saying which I fully believe by playwright William Congreve, "Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak.”   I wholeheartedly agree.

As a matter of fact, music in a variety of forms has always been a great comfort to me.  Being a Christian since 1975, I grew up with the sounds of contemporary Christian music, such artists as the 2nd Chapter of Acts, Keith Green, Ken Medema, Glad, the Pat Terry Group and a host of others.  Thankfully, with the advent of YouTube, I've been able to rediscover these old songs.  I've  also developed a taste for some classical music over the years with deep appreciation for Beethoven and Handel.  Furthermore, my music interests have been complimented by some traditional country music by, dare I say it, Johnny Cash.

So, where do my music tastes lie today?  With the political season in gear, I mostly listen to talk radio.  However, since I have been a part of my church's choir for multiple years, I listen to numerous choir CDs on a fairly regular basis.  I also pull out some of my "old music" from CDs which I purchase on Amazon or eBay.

Yet, music is one of my many comforts in life.  If I'm depressed, I listen to a song.   If I'm tired, then a song perks me up.  If I'm overstimulated by life, a song calms me down. Music is a wonderful cure-all for anything which affects me in life. 

Even when I underwent cancer surgery in 2004, I asked the music therapist at my hospital to come by my room and play a few tunes.  She played her guitar, we sang and the anguish of the hospitalization and lifestyle changes went away, at least for a few glorious moments.

So, having a tough time?  Turn your radio on (or listen to a CD or watch a You Tube music video).  Music certainly has charms to soothe a savage breast.

Consequently, I've enclosed a song of comfort for any situation, whether it be personal failure or overwhelming illness.  Hear the soothing sounds of Chuck Girard's "Lay Your Burden Down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbLpncI4OvY



2 comments:

  1. I agree on the role of music in our lives -- and Chuck Girard was one of my favorite artists back in college (as was Ken Medema and Pat Terry).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Charlie. Heard Ken Medema and Pat Terry in concert on numerous occasions. Never did hear Chuck Girard in person.

    ReplyDelete