Sunday, June 22, 2014

Opening Doors

I was blessed to have had a book signing today at my home church, NorthPark Baptist Church in Trussville, Alabama.  I was promoting my latest book, "Glorified Sickness: Honoring God Through Illness."  I'm always excited when a door opens to share my story. I had ultimately looked forward to this opportunity for quite some time.  After being in contact with a member of our church staff for the past couple of months, I was delighted to see this book signing come to fruition.

It reminds me of a book which I've been reading recently, "The Circle Maker" by Mark Batterson.  In one chapter, he talks about how God sometimes opens doors for us in rapid fire fashion, similar to the opening segment from the old TV show, "Get Smart".  If you recall, as Max gets out of his car, multiple doors from all different angles open as he approaches them.  Some of these doors are made of steel and they clang shut after he passes through.  Yet, as part of his mission, the doors allow this secret agent to pass without difficulty.

In ministry, sometimes doors open up like this.  I recall how, in September 2013, doors for interviews on multiple TV and radio stations practically fell into my lap.  I had sent out a few benign e-mails to some TV and radio personalities.  Well, one contact led to another and then, voila, I was interviewing right and left with very little effort on my part.  It was a fun ride.

However, some doors take much more effort.  Multiple e-mails or contacts may be necessary to get an interview (or get the door to open).  Of course, praying fervently for the door to open is also a must.  Ultimately, it is God's call.  The Bible states that Jesus puts before us "an open door which no one can shut"... (Revelations 3:7).  So, if He wants the door to open, it will open in His timing. On the other hand, if Jesus closes a door, it is closed tight.  No need to try to force it open...it is just wasted effort on my part.

Consequently, I just have to be ready when the door opens.  It's the smart thing to do.  Or, as Maxwell Smart would say, "Would you believe extremely smart?"



No comments:

Post a Comment