Saturday, April 6, 2013

Run, Hide, Fight

Saw a sad billboard going to work the other day, a billboard which reflects the unfortunate events which now seem to occur routinely in our society. As you recall, there were  horrendous shootings in Aurora, Colorado in a movie theater last year and later in a school in Newtown, Connecticut.  Perhaps in responding to these tragedies, some organization felt led to give some advice regarding what to do if  confronted by a shooter in the workplace or other community setting.  Although I don't remember everything from the billboard, the main information which it conveyed when confronted by a shooter is simply, "Run...Hide...Fight!".  In contemplating these guidelines, I thought these terms not only apply to how to handle a person with a gun, but to life in general.  Let's explore these in a little more detail, shall we.

First of all, run when in danger, when the nemesis is more powerful.  Several years ago when cutting the grass in my backyard, I ran over a yellow jackets' nest with my lawn mower.  I didn't see it until I was being stung by several yellow jackets and immediately realized what had happened.  What did I do?  I ran to my house as fast as I could, rolling on the ground along the way to try to rid myself of the stinging varmints.  It was very frightening, but, yet, the best course of action considering the circumstances.  I think I ended up with about five or six stings, although it could have been much worse if I hadn't vacated the premises.

Second, if running is not an option, then it's best to try to hide from the danger.  Where I live we occasionally are visited by the threat of tornadoes.  As a result, when a "Tornado Warning" is issued, local meteorologists provide continuous recommendations of how to avoid being injured from these cataclysmic events, for example, going to the lowest area of the house towards the innermost part of the structure, especially staying away from windows.  In following their advice, you could say we "hide" from the danger.

Finally, sometimes the most appropriate thing to do is fight, especially if there is no place to run or hide.  When confronting cancer, there is no other option.  Running away from it won't make it go away.  It continues to grow within the body, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly.  Whatever the case, it is relentless in seeking to destroy its host. 

Can't hide from it either.  Avoiding doctors or avoiding medical scans won't affect it one way or the other.  It still will be there.

Hence, the only option is to "fight the good fight of faith" (I Timothy 6:12) or what I would describe as "using maximum physical and mental effort."  Giving only minimal effort will not be sufficient to remove cancer..it takes heavy hitters such as surgery, chemotherapy or radiation.  In addition, a healthy overcoming attitude may also be invaluable in the struggle.  Furthermore, by punching at cancer with all we've got, it's possible that many may be victorious in spite of overwhelming odds.

Are you ready to fight???


 

No comments:

Post a Comment