Saturday, February 2, 2013

Pressing On

Well, it finally happened recently....I got a cold.  Why is this so unusual?  Well, I rarely get sick.  As a matter of fact, I think I last had a cold several years ago.  That's just the way it is for me.  I just don't get sick very often and rarely miss work.  Come to think of it, I've never had the flu.  Maybe it's related to the fact that I drink orange juice practically every day.  I also take a multi-vitamin.  Of course, I don't smoke either.  In regards to exercise, I usually try to jog or walk on my treadmill several times a week.  Besides my bout with cancer several years ago, I've always been the picture of health.

But, this cold hit me big time.  It started with a cough and congestion.  Later I developed a fever and went on antibiotics.  I subsequently developed nasal stuffiness and hoarseness.  Finally, it attacked my ears, with my right ear being completely stopped up. Even as I write today, I still can't hear fully  out of my right ear.  I have a lingering cough, although it is dissipating.  Nevertheless, this cold has been relentless and has been attacking me for the past two weeks.  I've been amazed at how it simply won't let me go.

Yet, even in the midst of illness, I've still pressed on.  I haven't missed a day of work, even though it meant taking cold capsules, throat lozenges and cough medicine to work. It was tough, it was tiring, yet, I was still able to get my work done.  Not a bad accomplishment, considering how bad I felt.

I may have mentioned this previously, but Winston Churchill said, "When you're going through hell, keep going".  Not a bad motto for life, especially when going through major illness.  As you keep moving, eventually the symptoms dissipate and life becomes joyful again.  Furthermore, I refuse to let sickness, whether it be a respiratory infection or cancer, hinder me from being what God wants me to be.  What wonderful treasures await me in life as I keep moving forward in spite of adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment