Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Living Off My CT Scans

After I finished chemotherapy in June 2006, I underwent periodic CT scans of my abdomen to make sure the cancer had been eradicated.  First the scans were every three months, then increased to every six months, then finally once a year.  Every scan was worrisome.  What if the cancer reoccurred?  How would I face it again?  However, I soon learned not to worry about the scans until the day of the scan.  Why?  Because worrying wouldn't solve anything.  If I had a good CT report, then I had basically another six to twelve months to enjoy life. I would pray about the scans the day of the tests, but otherwise tried not to think too much about them.

That's the mindset of a cancer patient.  You live from one scan to the next.

The Bible has some good advice regarding worrying.  In Matthew 6:34, Jesus said, "...do not be anxious about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."   In other words, focus on today.  Don't get too uptight about things down the road.  They will take care of themselves.

Put another way, as I heard a preacher say, "worrying is assuming responsibility for something God never intended for you to do."  Great advice.  There's no reason to worry about potential problems.  God will handle them.  Of course, I should still try to plan for the future.  But, for now, as Bobby Ferrin sings in the attached song, I don't need to worry.  I just need to be happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment