Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Seven Warning Signs of Cancer (C.A.U.T.I.O.N.)

I had a car flash its headlights at me this morning on a road close to my house.  Apparently, this is a sign (don't know how or when it started) that there is a police car ahead watching for speeders.  Sure enough, as I traveled down the road, a police car was hiding along the side of the road in a wooded area.  I guess I should be thankful for the car that flashed its headlights at me, although it probably didn't matter.  I never speed and have never gotten a speeding ticket.  So the driver's warning to me really didn't make any impact.  It was essentially a wasted effort.

However, some warnings can have a huge impact.  Consider that one out of two men and one out of three women will get cancer in their lifetimes in the United States.  As a result, in perhaps my most important blog thus far, I must share the seven warning signs of cancer as listed by the American Cancer Society.  The seven warning signs can be described by the acronym CAUTION.  They are:

Change in bowel or bladder habits
A sore that will not heal
Unusual discharge or bleeding
Thickening or lump in the breast, testicles or elsewhere
Indigestion or difficulty swallowing
Obvious change in a wart or mole
Nagging cough or hoarseness

A person who experiences any of these signs or symptoms  should visit a healthcare provider.  Although, these signs may be caused by other entities, it is safest to make sure cancer is not the culprit. 

The flashing headlights I saw this morning may have saved someone the cost of a speeding ticket.  These warning signs of cancer, more importantly, may save someone's life.

I mention how I missed one of these warning signs, i.e. unusual discharge or bleeding, in my first book, "A Place I Didn't Want To Go:  My Victory Over Cancer".  I describe the heartache of going through cancer treatment but yet, my victory through God's grace.  Check it out on Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/Place-Didnt-Want-Go-Victory/dp/0983453624/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324565593&sr=1-1

I also talk about the positive aspects of illness in my second book, "Glorified Sickness: Honoring God Through Illness", which became available in February 2014.  It can be accessed at:


http://www.amazon.com/Glorified-Sickness-Honoring-Through-Illness/dp/B00IEDJP6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392328856&sr=1-1&keywords=glorified+sickness


Finally, I am available to speak to your church or civic group about my cancer survival story or even the benefits of sickness.  Feel free to contact me via this blog.    







No comments:

Post a Comment