Speaking of which, I did a little research on sleep today since it is so fresh on my mind. Basically, we all need about seven or eight hours of sleep per night (good luck with that!). However, there are ample benefits of getting enough sleep. Some of these advantages of a good night's rest include:
1. Better health. Lack of sleep can be a link to heart disease, diabetes and obesity.
2. Better sex life. Sleep loss can possibly lower testosterone levels.
3. Less pain. Sleep may work just as well as some medications to relieve pain.
4. Lower risk of injury. It is speculated that about one in five auto accidents are due to drowsy drivers. In addition, lack of sleep can make a person more prone to other accidents, e.g. falling, cutting yourself while chopping vegetables, etc.
5. Better mood. Simply, the more exhausted you are, the more cranky you'll become.
6. Better weight control. People who don't get enough sleep tend to eat more and exercise less.
7. Clearer thinking. Less sleep leads to more clouded thinking. Have you ever done something unusual like leaving your car keys in the refrigerator?
8. Better memory
9. Stronger immunity. People who get adequate rest are less likely to develop colds.
(taken from http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/9-reasons-to-sleep-more)
Interestingly, the Bible gives an insight into the benefits of sleep. After Lazarus had died, Jesus told the disciples that Lazarus had "fallen asleep" (John 11:11). The disciples subsequently replied, "...if he has fallen asleep, he will recover" (John 11:12). Hence, I get the feeling that the disciples believed in the power of sleep. If a person was sick, sometimes rest would be the cure. If you have a hard time making a decision, perhaps the best course to take is to "sleep on it" and wait for your thinking to clear in the morning. Unusually cranky or irritable? Go to bed. Becoming more forgetful? Maybe you need more rest.
Needless to say, sleep is a good thing. Don't neglect it or you'll suffer the consequences. As a matter of fact, I probably should write more but I'll be off to bed soon.
Good night all!