Thursday, March 19, 2015

Then It Happened

I went running a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon.  I knew I needed to run because I had missed the previous day (I think the weather may have been too wet to run).  I typically run on my off days so it doesn't give me many opportunities to run as I should.

Anyway, after going to church, leisurely reading the newspaper, and generally relaxing, I put on my running clothes and headed out into my neighborhood, excited to be back into my running routine.

Then it happened.  After I had only run about twenty yards or so, basically just starting to accelerate, I tripped on one of my shoestrings and hit the pavement hard.  I skinned my right knee, scraped up my palms some, and bruised some ribs on my right side.  As I was falling, I burst out a pathetic groan before impact.  I looked around but did not see any neighbors who had witnessed my mishap.  

I got up, noticed the visible bleeding from my right knee, and proceeded to continue my run, not knowing what else to do.  I mean, why not?  It was my off day.  If I didn't run today, I would have to wait several days before another opportunity.

This sudden accident reminded me of what sometimes occurs when I'm cutting grass.  I typically use a push type mower since my yard is not too big.  So, when it comes to mowing, in a sense I actually like it.  The sound of the engine, the sight of the grass being mowed down, the smell of the mowed lawn, even the exercise of it all, is something I enjoy.

Then it happens.  While mowing at a brisk pace, thinking about life or whatever I think about while mowing, I occasional stumble upon a big rock which causes my mower to abruptly roar at me.  Sometimes the obstruction is so large that the mower engine actually stops.  Thankfully, if the blade is not too damaged, I resume my lawn care.  I really don't have a choice.  The lawn has to be mowed.

There is an old saying which says to "get back on your horse" after a fall.  It is so true.  When things happen (sometimes abruptly), probably the best advice is to get back up, brush yourself off, wipe off the blood and keep running or mowing or whatever.  It may be painful for a season but there is no reason to sulk...there is still work to be done.





   

No comments:

Post a Comment