Saturday, August 10, 2013

Beware The Sabeans

I've recently read a book about Job while doing research for my second book.  If you aren't familiar with Job, let me refresh your memory of his demise which occurs in the first chapters of the book of Job.  Within moments he loses his livestock, servants and children.  Later in chapter two, his health begins to deteriorate.

Nevertheless, the first action which occurred in this process is mentioned in Job chapter 1.  "...The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them, and the Sabeans attacked and took them.  They also slew the servants with the edge of the sword..." (Job 1:14-15).  You could say the first domino to fall came about at the hand of a mysterious people called the Sabeans.   Who were the Sabeans?  Apparently they were some terrorizing robbers who were descendants of Abraham and Keturah (Genesis 25:1-3).  After they attacked Job's servants and livestock, they are hardly mentioned any further in the Bible, except a brief reference in Job 6:19.  Hence, the Sabeans came and left after inflicting their harm and then seemed to disappear off the face of the planet.  Isn't that how life is sometime?  An evil person or an evil circumstance appears for a brief moment, does its damage, then vacates.  I cannot forget the ways cancer attacked me in 2004 and 2006.  After major surgery and chemotherapy, I am now more or less relatively healthy, although cancer forever damaged my body.  You could say the Sabeans came and went, still leaving me to bear with the consequences.

On the other hand, sometimes good people or good circumstances appear for a short time, leaving a lasting joyous effect.  I know that when I went through chemotherapy, a lady provided T-shirts for the staff to give to patients which stated "God heals cancer" and listed "I shall not die, but live, and tell of the works of the Lord" (Psalms 118:17) written on the back.  I never met the lady, don't know what kind of cancer she had, and was certainly unfamiliar with Psalms 118:17, although I had read my Bible numerous times.  Yet, that verse ultimately became a life verse for me.  As a matter of fact, I now wear a bracelet on my wrist at all times which lists this verse.  How did this all happen?  Basically, because a godly lady appeared on the scene for a season, ministered to me, then vanished.  Yet, I am so grateful for her ministry.

Thankfully, even though Sabeans attack us at times, there are checks and balances in God's plan in which godly men and women minister to us, albeit just for a brief time to repair the damage of terrorizing robbers.

You can read more about the vicious attacks I endured while battling cancer but yet the victories I achieved by reading my book, "A Place I Didn't Want To Go: My Victory Over Cancer."  It can be accessed at:

http://www.amazon.com/Place-Didnt-Want-Go-Victory/dp/0983453624/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324565593&sr=1-1

No comments:

Post a Comment