Monday, July 8, 2013

Bearing More Fruit

Many years ago I lived in the house of my great aunt and great uncle after they passed away.  It was an old house but rather unique.  It was located on a large amount of property, meaning there was a big yard which required much effort to keep the grass cut on a regular basis.  The property also contained several fig trees which were somewhat unproductive.  I admired the large leaves of these biblical trees but didn't see much fruit of which to speak.   

However, after I moved out, my parents moved into this house, a nice move for them but even better fortune for the fig trees.  My father, in his wisdom, recognized the problem with the fig trees in that they contained multiple dead limbs.  Therefore he commenced to pruning the trees or "cutting them way down" as he put it.  That was several years ago.

Now you wouldn't believe the number of figs that we harvest every year.  The trees have grown to gigantic proportions with extensive foliage.  Hence, as the summer progresses, the challenge is to pick the figs as soon as possible (before the birds get them) and distribute them to whoever desires their sweetness.  Needless to say, my father's pruning has been very productive.   

Jesus says that the Heavenly Father is also in the pruning business.  John 15:2 says, "...every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it, that it may bear more fruit."  What does the pruning entail?  I would imagine it could be any type of hardship or difficulty.  For me, I underwent a major pruning when I went through cancer.  Yet it could be financial difficulties, relationship issues, work problems, whatever.  Some very painful processes.  On the other hand, the abundant harvest (just like my father's fig trees in due time) proclaim the value of the pruning. Consequently, just like my father gives away figs, the pruning in my life may provide nourishment for many others.  That is my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment