Saturday, March 16, 2013

Under Construction

It just never seems to end....the construction at the hospital where I work.  There is a certain work site I pass ever day walking from the parking lot to my floor.  As a matter of fact, it seems like the construction workers have been laboring on that site for years.  I would estimate this project has been in effect for at least three to four years.  Amazing!  It seems like part of the building is constructed, then it is torn down.  The street was excavated at one time, then it was filled in.  Of course, being an outsider to construction, I really have no clue to what the workers are doing.  I have no sense of the time to completion, a fairly limited understanding of the finished product.  To me, the construction looks chaotic (as do most construction sites).  There must by some rhyme or reason to what the work crew is doing, although I'm having a hard time seeing it.  Yet, it is easy to wonder if the builders really know what they are doing.

Sometimes it is tempting to wonder if God knows what He is doing.  Obviously, there are some problems we bring upon ourselves due to poor choices.  On the other hand, some things appear for no apparent reason.  You know, things like sickness, financial difficulties, marital or familial discord, etc. We are brought to our knees as we wonder, "Why?"  "Why did this happen?"  "Why at this time?"  "Why in my life, of all people?"

Yet, a powerful scripture comes to mind from Isaiah 45:9.  It states succinctly:

"Woe to the one who quarrels with his Maker—
An earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth!
Will the clay say to the potter, ‘What are you doing?’
Or the thing you are making say, ‘He has no hands’?"

God also spoke to Job with some rather strong words in Job 38:4-7.  God said:

“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding,
Who set its measurements? Since you know.
Or who stretched the line on it?
“On what were its bases sunk?
Or who laid its cornerstone,
When the morning stars sang together
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

Hence, in the broad spectrum of the universe, I may have difficulty seeing the "big picture" of life.  But I must continually submit myself to the Master Potter to accomplish His purposes.  Ultimately, in time, the finished product of my life, although chaotic at times, will be glorious. 

I talk more at length about the Master Potter's work in dealing with my life while I was fighting bladder cancer in my book, "A Place I Didn't Want To Go: My Victory Over Cancer".  It is available on Amazon and Kindle and can be accessed at:

http://www.amazon.com/Place-Didnt-Want-Go-Victory/dp/0983453624/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324565593&sr=1-1

No comments:

Post a Comment