Friday, December 21, 2012

The Warmth of God's Plan

It's a great story recorded in Luke 24.  Two men were walking to Emmaus on  the day that Jesus rose from the dead.  They were trying to understand everything that had happened in Jerusalem that week.  Jesus had entered Jerusalem in triumph with a king's welcome.  Yet, he was delivered to the chief priests and rulers and underwent a horrific death via crucifixion.  Then it was reported that He had risen from the dead.  So, as the gentlemen were walking, they were thinking and conversing to each other what had happened in Jerusalem.  What did it all mean?  They walked and talked, still tying to make sense of it all. 

Then, an unknown figure joined their journey and conversation.  With marvelous clarity, Jesus, unrecognized by them at the time, explained the Old Testament scriptures regarding the Messiah which had led up to the events in Jerusalem that week.  Their hearts burned within as the Master Teacher provided some masterful teaching.  It was all made clear to them.  The death, burial and resurrection were all part of God's plan from the beginning of time.  They now had hope in a risen Savior.  After He departed from them, they exclaimed, "...Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?"  (vs. 32 NASB).  It was a heartwarming encounter with Jesus, a time when life made sense.     

Although I still wrestle with the reasons cancer was thrust upon me, as I read the Scriptures, I can see more clearly why this occurred in my life.  New insights for me regarding pain and suffering.  A new ministry.  New joys.  New friendships.  In a sense, it is a warm feeling inside, seeing the pieces of God's plan come together for my life.  Mind you, I may not understand everything that occurs in my life.  I still have many, many questions.  Yet, what I am able to comprehend as Jesus explains the scriptures to me on a day-to-day basis is very heartwarming.

No comments:

Post a Comment